Monday, April 2, 2012

The Tower of Babel

We have made International Christian Fellowship our church body here. It is church in downtown Limassol that is lead in English. The church truly lives up to its name "International" as it has people from all over the world. English is not the first language of most of the people that attend. A few Sundays ago, I was asked to teach in our church's Creche (Nursery & 2-3 year olds due to our churches small facilities). So while the youngest children play, the Creche leader gives a lesson and craft.

The lesson I was to lead was on the Tower of Babel. Making it more interesting the children are so young that most haven't learned English yet. As I began preparing for the lesson, I found suggestions online to tell the children "imagine not being able to understand what is being said" or "think of not being able to talk to the other children so they understand." I chuckled. These children don't have to imagine. They are living it. Sure enough that Sunday there were 4 different languages represented in the sweet faces looking up at me. I smiled. I think God had me experiencing the lesson of the Tower of Babel.

Even deeper I was struck with the bigger issue at the Tower of Babel than pride in the heart of man to build a tower to reach heaven which is the focus of most children's Bible stories was disobedience to God's command after the flood in Gen. 9 - to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth.

Isn't that like our human hearts to disobey a direct command?

And even take pride in our "better" plan?

How grateful I am that God didn't leave me there!!!

"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:22-23


No comments:

Post a Comment