Monday, May 21, 2012

It's hard to say bye bye paci

Charis as of 2 weeks ago was still using a paci. I know, I know...she is 3! But please bare in mind before you judge too quickly that she (AND her mama) did go through a lot her between her 2nd and 3rd birthday including 2 international moves.

One day Joshua told Charis she was all done with her paci and asked her to hand it over to him. I wouldn't have ever picked this day. He had just gotten back from a trip, I was weary, and we were going to be leaving Charis with my parents while we went for our ultrasound with indefinite wait times. It wasn't in my mind the "perfect" day for embarking on what I knew would be a drama filled days. Drama filled moments there were, but God taught Charis and me so much. 

I was reminded that I have a tendency to wait for the stars to align when it comes to confronting big issues in my mind. More importantly I had a sweet reminder to trust God leading Joshua even in the small things like pacis. I can not tell you how I wanted to tell Joshua how bad an idea I thought this was (God must have muzzled my mouth!). Yet now that this is over I am SO glad he took the initiative! This needed to happen (even her teeth will thank me). 

The sweetest thing that both Charis and I got to experience and see in action was the POWER of God's word. Since Charis took a paci, taking a nap was almost a switch for her. You gave her a paci, blankie & lambie and boom she was asleep no matter where we were. This made nap times the hardest. One nap time, I heard her whimpering the phrase we heard a lot that week "it's hard to say bye bye paci." I went in the room and sat beside her. I told her how God could give her the strength to do this. I taught her Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (KJV) We said it together several times and made up motions. I saw a change since that moment in the process of giving up what was like a drug to her. She has since asked me to repeat it with her and daddy even found a song we all sing as a family. I love how God can use everything to grow us in Him!

Charis with celebration cupcakes 

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little girl:) I wish we could say "bye-bye" to Alina's thumb, but it seems to be stuck to her hand. Fun. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is definitely worth celebrating! I too wish I could say "bye-bye" to T's thumb, but alas. :) I love how you used this opportunity to teach your daughter truth. You have such a beautiful heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! AND let me know what you figure out about thumbs because Gabriel is a finger sucker. AND seems even stronger willed than his sister so that will be exciting times for me!

    ReplyDelete