Friday, March 16, 2012

Charis' Heart

It hadn't been an easy week. Joshua was traveling, and it felt like sometimes my children were testing to see what I could handle. We were in the car having a sweet moment together singing "Jesus loves the little children." Even Gabriel gets into it now, clapping and adding his happy yells. As we sang the verse "Jesus died for all the children", I was preoccupied thinking through the theological issues with that verse not imagining that this phrase would change my child's life forever.

"Why did Jesus die for all the children?" Charis interrupted my thoughts.

I realized we have explained to her why He died, but it has been relation to her and us, not in relation to others. I explained again that it was because of sin.

"The children's sins?!" she replied, seeming surprised that others sin.

We talked a little longer and since I thought we would be on to the next subject (we have had a lot of these conversations lately) I added, "Charis whenever you want to, you can pray to Jesus and ask Him to forgive your sins..."

She didn't let me finish!

"I am going to do it right now."

I stopped the car. Her eyes were pressed tightly together. My heart was beating fast. Is this really happening?

"Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for this day. I am sorry for my BAD sins." ...She started out praying fast but got slow and very emphatic at the end.

"You can ask Jesus into your heart if you want." I added.

She started praying again "Jesus please come into my heart. I am sorry for my BAD sins."

I teared up and explained to her how excited I was and how important what she did was. We talked about my "happy tears", and I suggested she tell others what she did. When we walked into my dad and mom's house, it was the first thing she told them.

When I helped her in her pjs that night, she asked excitedly "Jesus is in my heart!?"

1 comment: