Wednesday, August 3, 2011

In the Shadows of the Alhambra...

I sit in my parents non air conditioned row house. The ceiling fan above desperately trying to cool the 95 degree heat that seeps in. I feel like my emotions and brain are still trying to catch up with where my body is living. Joshua and I have always wanted to serve the Lord overseas. Although we had trouble narrowing our passion for different places in the world, the last 3 years we thought it was going to be Italy. We learned about Italy, prayed for Italy and attempted to raise the support required. Last fall after a focused time of prayer by many asking God to get us there, Joshua and I found ourselves asking "What do you want, Lord?".

One chilly December evening as Charis played carefree at a park, Joshua and I held each other and cried once again surrendering everything to God - going to Italy or even overseas at all. I had no idea the whirlwind that would follow. On Christmas day, God led us to talk to my parents about fitting in the organization they are with. Before the end of the year as an answer to a specific prayer, we had the confirmation we needed to move forward! This was followed by meetings with our pastors and elders, joining a different organization, building a storage shed at Joshua's parents, packing up our home of 7 years, and by FAITH with the money raised... flying off to SPAIN!?!

So here we are - temporarily in Spain and trying to take it all in before our next assignment. God has answered yet another cry of our heart: to be "goers" in the Great Commission. Our main purpose in Spain is for Joshua to strengthen his Spanish for communicating within the organization we joined. I am trying to figure out living overseas as an adult, wife and mother. I find myself inadequate and in need of God's grace, mercy and strength more than ever. Praise God that He offers them to us freely!

No comments:

Post a Comment